Date:      Thu, 29 Jun 2023 14:52:44 +0200
From:      tuexen@freebsd.org
To:        Murali Krishnamurthy <muralik1@vmware.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-transport@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-transport@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD TCP (with iperf3) comparison with Linux

> On 29. Jun 2023, at 11:51, Murali Krishnamurthy <muralik1@vmware.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Hello FreeBSD Transport experts,
> We are evaluating performance of FreeBSD 13 VM on ESX hypervisor in =
long RTT setup and happened to compare the performance with Linux VM =
with same hypervisor.
> We see a substantially better performance with Linux getting close to =
the BDP limit, whereas BSD 13 not filling up the pipe enough.
> We are trying to figure out what could lead to such a huge difference =
and feel we could be missing something here.
> Could you please help us to know if there is a way to make it perform =
better?
> Setup details:
> We have 2 ESX hypervisors where 2 VMs (one FreeBSD 13 and one Ubuntu =
23.04/Linux kernel 6.2) were launched on each hypervisor.
> Then we ran iperf between,
>   =E2=80=A2 BSD 13 <-> BSD 13
>   =E2=80=A2 Ubuntu <-> Ubuntu
> Even though the network environment were same in both cases, we see =
Ubuntu performing much better.
> Below are connection parameters:
> Socket buffer: 16MB
> TCP CC Algo: Cubic. We used this as this is suitable for Long Fat =
Networks.
> Ping RTT:  100 ms between the two end points.
> We kept all other parameters to default on both Linux and BSD.
> BDP for 16MB Socket buffer: 16 MB * (1000 ms * 100ms latency) * 8 =
bits/ 1024 =3D 1.25 Gbps
> Ubuntu consistently hits around 1 Gbps Bitrate almost reaching the BDP =
limit.
> FreeBSD 13 shows a Bit rate between the range of 300-600 Mbps only. So =
it seems to be doing half as good as Linux.
> For lower socket buffer of 4MB, both FreeBSD and Linux seem to do same =
and able to meet BDP of 300 Mbps consistently.
> Larger socket buffer seems to have an issue.
> Please let us know if there are ways to fine tune the system =
parameters to make BSD perform better.
> Or any other suggestions/queries welcome.
> Regards
> Murali
Hi Murali,

I'll bring this up on the biweekly transport call.

Best regards
Michael