Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:12:14 -0700
From:      Lorin Lund <fbsd@wbs-inc.com>
To:        Lei Ding <leiding@myrealbox.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to install freebsd through ftp?

I'm guessing that the original question involves a cable-modem connection to the
internet.  Depending on the set up with the carrier the proper configuration might be
obtuse or unsupported by /stand/sysinstall.

In that event is possible to download the necessary files to a FAT or FAT32 partition.
You need to create a C:\FREEBSD directory.  Then you download whichever
of the following directories you want:

bin   (required)
crypto (required)
manpages
catpages
compat1x
compat20
compat21
compat22
compat3x
compat4x
info
games
src

These directories are found at:

ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/4.5-RELEASE/

If you want to download as little as possible to get FreeBSD going you will want to
choose 'Minimum' from the distributions list.  It requires the 'bin' and 'crypto' directories.

The distributions menu is found in /stand/sysinstall (the program that presents color menus
and steps you through the preparing of your FreeBSD partition.  If you choose 'Stantard'
installation from the first menu you will eventually get to a list of distributions.  Some of the
entries are like 'User',  'X-User', 'Developer', 'Kernel Developer',  toward the bottom of
that list you'll see 'Minimal'  It will require only the 'bin' and 'crypto' directories to have been
downloaded to the DOS partition.  With that much you can get FreeBSD up and running
without source, games, man pages or much else but you will probably have the tools
you need to get the pppoe connection working.  But you will have to switch back to Windows
or whatever to read the documentation off of the freebsd.org website because 'minimal'
does not contain much or any documentation.

Once you have FreeBSD running in this minimal configuration and get pppoe worked out
then you can run /stand/sysinstall to help you download and install any other distributions
you might be interested in.