Date:      Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:21:33 +0100
From:      "Joao Barros" <joao.barros@gmail.com>
To:        "siddharth seth" <sidharth.seth@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem using netgear Wireless PCI card on Ultra Sparc 5

On 10/12/06, siddharth seth <sidharth.seth@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am running FreeBSD 6.1 on Ultra Sparc 5. I am trying to get my
> Netgear PCI based Wireless lan card to work on my system .
>
> The system doesnot boot when the card is plugged into the PCI slot. If
> I switch on the power supply, nothing happens and I donot get any
> display. The card has to be removed to let the system to boot.
>
> I donot understand if it is a problem with the BIOS or with FreeBSD. I
> have tried changing the pci detection sequence in the bios but still
> it doesnot boot with the card in the slot.
>
> Any help with this will be much appreciated.

I have an Ultra 5 as well and I think I once tried to add a wireless
card with no success (can't recall what really happened).
The Ultra 5 is very old and I think what you're experiencing is a
revisions conflict between an old pci bus and a new pci card.
I had similar problems on old non sparc hardware with recent cards.
This is just a thought, don't take my word for granted ;-)

--
Joao Barros