Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:47:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Merry <ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu>
To:        piero@strider.ibenet.it
Cc:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 951104-SNAP - Can't telnet in

Piero Serini said:
> Quoting from Kenneth Merry (Thu Nov 16 02:51:58 1995):
> > > until it timeouts. I also tried telnetting to port 7 and 25,
> > > same result. I tried rlogin, no go.
> > 	Any connection that's made to the machine on a port handled by
> > inetd just hangs.  The sockets stay in the CLOSE_WAIT state (from netstat).

> Mmmm I can't even telnet to port 25 (smtp). So I'd say it's
> not inetd related.

	Hmm...from outside the machine, I can connect to the smtp port,
name server, sshd, portmap, anything that isn't cranked up via inetd.
telnet, rlogin, talk, finger, etc. all hang, from any outside machines, and
I can't even get those things to work from localhost.  (i.e.  finger@localhost
hangs)

> > 	Does anyone have any ideas on this?

> Listen, can you check please if your new machine sees *all* the
> others? I ask because I can't see the routers (Cisco 4500, Cisco
> 2501, Cisco 2511, 194.179.128.254, 253, 252). I think it's
> something in the kernel, more than in the daemons.

	I can see about 44 hosts up on the subnet, including a couple of
Cabletron hubs, and a Cisco router.  (either a 7000 or AGS+, not sure
which)  So I can connect with pretty much everything, but anything started
via inetd isn't working.  I have to use ssh to get in...

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@ulc199.residence.gatech.edu