Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 13:49:49 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        SXren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith), bartol@salk.edu, Graeme.Cross@sci.monash.edu.au, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux RPM on FreeBSD, anyone doing this?

> It seems Mike Smith wrote:
> > > Why all the trouble, how about:
> > >
> > > rpm -i --ignoreos --root /compat/linux /path/to/the/rpm/packages
> > >
> > > That works for the Oracle senario....
> >
> > Because, if you'd been following the thread, you'd have discovered that
> > rpm is called out of the IBM DB2 installer binary.  8)
>
> Rename rpm to rpm.org make shellscript rpm that does what I wrote above.

More or less what I was doing already; I got hung up on needing about a
dozen things installed as dependancies.  I also had problems with some
of the options only being valid for some operations; I don't recall if
--ignoreos is always valid...

> > Your observation about needing an RPM database for the installed
> > components in the linux_lib port is spot-on too; this is going to be a
> > prerequisite for linux_lib 2.7 I think.  I mailed Eric to see if he had
> > a list of libraries that he normally includes somewhere; failing that I
> > guess it's just going to be time to sit down with a new RedHat CDROM.
>
> Yup, and then one should be able to upgrade etc with all the hassles
> that the linsux world has in that department :)

Shouldn't be *too* bad; just update the RPMs in the fetch list.
Whether it'll _work_, now that's another matter again. 8)

> > One other question - have you tried using the Linux 'rpm' binary?  It
> > segfaults on what seems to be exiting, but I can't see any reason for
> > it...
>
> Hmm, no, I've used the ports one, but I'll look at it...

Ta.