Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 14:55:55 +0200
From:      Lukas Laukamp <lukas@laukamp.me>
To:        Witold Baryluk <baryluk@smp.if.uj.edu.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-xen@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Xen Dom0 Support

Am 29.05.2012 00:48, schrieb Witold Baryluk:
> On 05-29 00:24, Lukas Laukamp wrote:

>>> BTW. I read yeasterday that Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V is able to
>>> run XEN PV domU Linux on it. It probably is also able to run other Xen
>>> domU guests, but probably nobody was trying to do so. I do not know
>>> details, but it was what I read about Hyper-V hypervisor on Wikipedia.
>>> In fact it looks like independent implementation of Xen compatible
>>> hypervisor (it uses same hypercall api, but I do not know with which
>>> version of Xen it is compatible) with Windows as dom0.
>>>
>>> Not that anybody would want to run it, but just saying.
>>>

>> Hello Witold,
>>
>> Hyper-V can do that because Microsoft has co-operation contracts
>> with Citrix who is one of the primary maintainers of Xen. So the try
>> to build compatibility between Xen and Hyper-V. Personaly I wouldn't
>> use Hyper-V because it's not that great like for example VMWares
>> vSphere.
>>

> Ah, yes Citrix. This makes sense.
>

>> But for the productive working I use Xen and KVM at the moment. And
>> as I started to think to change to BSD I first looked which
>> virtualization technologies are available on BSD. I thought that the
>> best solution would be Xen because KVM don't is available for BSD
>> and other solutions like QEmu, VirtualBox or the BSD Hypervisor
>> BHyVe are very great for testing and home and so I would say the
>> development command and control center but not for server
>> virtualization or other things which provides services which are
>> needed for productive use.
>>
>> When I look at the wikis and read about the support for Xen on other
>> unix like systems I only see NetBSD or Solaris (and it's forks) for
>> a realy good Dom0.
>>
>> So does someone can explain the differences between FreeBSD and
>> NetBSD? I see not so much without looking for the supported hardware
>> platforms. The BSD with the most differences I think is OpenBSD.
>>
>> And the other thing is that I never worked with Solaris, but it
>> seems that they have great Xen support. So I don't know whether it
>> would be a good choice. I think that I will have much to learn to
>> work good with a BSD but I hope it's possible for me.
>>

> I personally would like to switch to FreeBSD domO mainly due to the ZFS
> storage (its snapshots, easier atomic backups and zvol, fast cloning,
> and easier exporting via iSCSI). I know I can do almost all of it using
> LVM, just not so easly and reliabiliy or automatically.
>
> I currently use Debian GNU/Linux, and I'm very happy, espcially due
> package system, but considering there is Debian kfreebsd, I would like
> to make switch in the future when domO will be available. I now use
> kfreebsd (with 9.0 kernel) as domU without bigger issues.
>
> As of NetBSD i have no idea of good distinguishing differences. It is
> more portable than FreeBSD for sure (which its domO support proofs), but
> there is many small differences, including hardware drivers or various
> [...]

Hey all,

I answer to this mail because it's related to the discussion in this
thread. As told I have my Debian Dom0s and now I wan't to create a
FreeBSD Xen PV DomU. Does I really need a HVM guest like described here:
http://wiki.sysconfig.org.uk/display/howto/Xen+FreeBSD+8.2+DomU+%28PV%29+--+Step+by+Step+Howto

I already downloaded the prepared DomU Image but it's version 8.2 and
not 8.3 or 9.0 so could I simply upgrade the guest to 8.3 for example?

Because of the thing with kfreebsd on Debian I look into the repositorys
of my AMD64 DomUs but I can only find the FreeBSD kernel sources. Can I
simply compile this kernel with special options to get a working DomU
kernel or do I have to take another way?

best regards