Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 05:51:03 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/src/sbin/i386/mount_msdos - can we move it already?

> No objection from me - I was wondering about those two also.

[ ... ]

> > Same for fdisk.  It can be used on any block device.  I could easily
> > use it to manage disks containing DOS formatted partitions on your
> > ALPHA.

Really, the use of "fdisk" is wrong.

There needs to be an abstract interface to parittioning management
that doesn't care about what code is actually doing the managing.

It would open the device, and basically ask it if it had current
partitioning, and also ask what modules would be willing to manage
partitioning on it.

Then it would write a clean label or whatever via an ioctl() that is
independent of the partitioning being enacted that says "Hey you,
manage this".

One problem with this is that the SLICE code sort of makes some
assumptions about locking and devices access that aren't very good
assumptions if you wanted this to work.

In addition, there are not entry points for "splat a label on this
puppy Mr. XXX slice type manager!".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---