Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:16:28 +0300
From:      Michael Lednev <liettneff@bk.ru>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: sata controllers

Hello, sclements.

On 23 января 2005 г., 0:18:19 you wrote:

>>> i'm going to buy new sata-controller for my freebsd box and don't know
>>> what to choose.  as i seen in stable src there is support for silicon
>>> image, promise and via chipsets (i believe others are integrated in
>>> south bridges). what should i take to have no headache about my disks?
>>>
>>> ps: once i had experience with sii3112 based sata and it showed dma
>>>     timeouts, have anything changed since august in ata driver about
>>>     them?
>>
>> The author of that ata driver reports good results with the promise
>> chips.  The 3112 remains a piece of junk.
>>
>> -- Brooks

slc> Also, The ICH5, 6300ESB, etc. SATA ports work very well. These tend to be
slc> integrated in all new Intel based boards. As long as you stay away from RAID
slc> mode and the Sil cards, you should be good to go!

unfortunately integrated ones wont go, i need discrete controller and
local stores have nothing to offer except sii3112 and via6420. how
about via?

--
Best regards,
 Michael                          mailto:liettneff@bk.ru