Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2012 22:10:03 GMT
From:      Konstantin Belousov <konstantin.belousov@zoral.com.ua>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/170351: [patch] amd64: 64-bit process can't always get unlimited rlimit

The following reply was made to PR amd64/170351; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Konstantin Belousov <konstantin.belousov@zoral.com.ua>
To: Ming Qiao <mqiao@juniper.net>
Cc: Erin MacNeil <emacneil@juniper.net>, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 01:06:31 +0300

 --V8ijD2GsuVnOuiV5

 Do not strip public lists from the discussion. There is nothing private.

 On Tue, Aug 07, 2012 at 05:52:07PM -0400, Ming Qiao wrote:
 > Hi Konstantin,
 >=20
 > Thanks for your quick response. Actually I'm not very clear about
 > the second approach you mentioned. Some questions here: 1) Could you
 > please elaborate the idea of "tracking rlimits set to ABI infinity"?
 > If I understand correctly, you are referring to a model where a
 > process can have it rlimit set multiple times by different ABI? But
 > what does it mean exactly? Could you give a simple example here? 2)
 > What do you mean by "per-struct rlimit"? Do you mean each memory
 > segment as a struct? such as datasize, stacksize, etc.

 I mean that in addition to the existing array of pl_rlimit in struct
 plimit, you also create an bitmap array of the same size. Set bit
 in this new array would indicate that corresponding limit was set
 (either implicit, or explicitely by usermode) to infinity. The bit
 has its meaning regardless of the actual numeric value written into
 the pl_rlimit, either by syscall or by sv_fixup.

 Then, 64bit sysent should also grow sv_fixup for resource limits, and
 set it accordingly for host ABI if array indicates that resource is
 logically 'infinite'.

 For completeness, I should note that bit is cleared if syscall sets
 the resource to non-infinite value. Per-struct rlimit means that there
 is a bit for each resource.

 Is it clear now ?

 >=20
 > Thanks,
 > Ming
 >=20
  and adapts kernel code to suit your scenario. Your deny the correction of =
 the infinity limit, I do not see how it can be right.
 >=20
 > The problem you described is architectural. By design, Unix resource limi=
 ts cannot be increased after they were decreased, except by root.
 > In your scenario, the limits were decreased by mere fact of running the 3=
 2bit process which have lower 'infinity' limits then 64bit processes.
 >=20
 > That said, I see two possible solutions.
 >=20
 > First is to manually set compat.ia32.max* sysctls to 0. Then you get desi=
 red behaviour for 64bit processes execed from 32bit, it seems.
 > It does not require code change. Since you are fine with denying fix for =
 infinity, this setting gives the same effect as the patch.
 >=20
 > Second approach (which is essentially a correction to your approach from =
 fix.diff) is to track the fact that corresponding rlimits are set to 'ABI i=
 nfinity', in some per-struct rlimit flag. Then, get/setrlimit should first =
 test the 'ABI infinity' flag and behave as if rlimit is set to infinity for=
  current bitness even if the actual value of rlimit is not infinity. Flag i=
 s set when rlimit is set to infinity by current ABI.
 >=20
 > The second approach would provide 'correct' fix, but it is not trivial am=
 ount of work for very rare situation (execing 64bit process from 32bit), an=
 d current behaviour of inheriting 32bit limits may be argued as right.
 > If you want, feel free to develop such patch, I will review and commit it=
 , but I do not want to spend efforts on developing it myself ATM.

 --V8ijD2GsuVnOuiV5

 --V8ijD2GsuVnOuiV5--