Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:53:26 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Gavin Kenny <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CAN bus

--vSsTm1kUtxIHoa7M

Warner Losh(imp@harmony.village.org)@2001.09.18 09:33:45 +0000:
> In message <Pine.BSF.4.21.0109171714340.17561-100000@InterJet.elischer.or=
g> Julian Elischer writes:
> : Ok so I have to ask... what is CAN bus? (besides a piece of string=20
> : between 2 cans.).
>=20
> A data acquisition bus that was popular in manufacturing a few years
> ago.  Don't know if it is still popular or not.

it is quite standard in industrial environments and still popular (at
least in europe) but existant installations slowly get replaced with
ethernet based (100baseFX) or industrial ethernet (10Mbit) transceivers.

it is not an open standard. i presume that most larger shops try to get
rid of it in favor of ethernet/ip based solutions except for very low
latency applications which appear to be migrating to firewire based
systems.

/k

--=20
> Should the US government lift the export controls on strong encryption?
> Yes, I think so. You can buy better stuff in Europe than you can here.
> We don't have a monopoly on brains.=20
> --Interview with Walter Wriston as reported in Wired 4.10=20
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--vSsTm1kUtxIHoa7M

--vSsTm1kUtxIHoa7M--