Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:40:07 GMT
From:      Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/165477: [rc] dhclient is run twice

The following reply was made to PR bin/165477; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Ian Lepore <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org, wblock@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 08:31:24 -0600

 I did some investigation of this when the question first came up on the
 mailing lists.  Here's what I learned...

 The first instance of dhclient is started normally by rc.d/dhclient.
 Later, when devd starts, it processes a bach of bufferered up events
 delivered to it by devfs, and one of those events is a LINK_UP event
 which causes devd to run "rc.d/dhclient quietstart".  Changes introduced
 in r226345, merged to 8-stable in r231278, changed the behavior of
 dhclient with the "quietstart" parameter so that it is no longer quiet
 about the fact that an instance of dhclient is already running.