Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 1995 15:44:41 -0600 (CST)
From:      Dave Waddell <waddell@POSC.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@trout.sri.MT.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Stack trace routine for running programs

I don't know whether or not this would work but you might try running
the program to where you want the trace then attaching to the program
with the gnu debugger (it allows attaching to a running program).

On Thu, 9 Mar 1995, Nate Williams wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to do a stack dump (trace) of a running
> program while *NOT* in the debugger.  We are trying to debug a program
> that behaves very differently when it is running under the debugger, and
> being able to see a call stack would be very helpful.  We have some code
> to do it on a 68020 HP box, but it's pretty convoluted and full of
> un-commented MAGIC #'s, so I'd rather not start from there.
>
> I could reverse engineer things by looking at the assembled output from
> the compiler, but if there already exists code that is easy to use I'd
> be much happier than that.  I looked through gdb, but it's so large and
> I know so little about the layout that I didn't even know where to look.
>
> Oh, the stack trace we need is on SCO-x86 and Sparc boxes.  The SCO code
> would be preferrable, but if someone could point me in the right
> direction I think I could get it running on both with a good push to
> some code fragments.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Nate

|    Dave Waddell           | Disclaimer - I don't even speak for myself |
|    waddell@posc.org       |                                            |
|    kb5wxe@kb5wxe.ampr.org | + 1 713 267 5103                           |