Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 2006 15:34:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd@fishballoon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 on Dell 1850 with PERC4e/DC RAID?

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Scott Mitchell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I may be getting a new Dell PE1850 soon, to replace our ancient CVS server
> (still running 4-STABLE).  The new machine will ideally run 6.0 and have a
> PERC4e/DC RAID card - the one with battery-backed cache.  This is listed as
> supported by amr(4), but I'm wondering how well it actually works in the
> case of a disk failure.  Will the driver tell me that disk has failed (a
> syslog message would be enough) or will I have to make a daily trip into
> the server room to check the front panel lights?  Presumably it handles
> hot-swapping a replacement drive OK?

>From what I remember, you will receive status-change kernel messages when
disks disappear, rebuilds start, and so forth. So for most day-to-day
manipulation you should be fine.

You may want to make sure the auto rebuild option is enabled in the
controller's BIOS since no working control programs from userland are
generally available at this time. That also means you can't create new
volumes at runtime, but thats not so horrible...

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org