Date:      Wed, 08 Apr 1998 20:20:08 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape: Linux a top priority (news.com article)

Moved to -chat.

"Louis A. Mamakos" writes:

> An interesting question is of the high-volume FreeBSD-based web servers,
> how many would want to purchase the Netscape product rather than just
> using Apache?

Was in a position to buy a Netscape server for FreeBSD if was was
available about 6 months ago. Needed commercial license to use SSL.
Options appeared to be: 1) Stronghold, was about to increase in price
from $995. 2) BSDI, $995 including Netscape Fastpath (is that right
name?).

What we ultimately did is "borrow" an SGI O2, which comes with the
Netscape Fastpath product as part of the basic system. Never did
advance to the point where we enabled https, The Powers That Be got
cold feet ("you mean we have to buy our own internet connection?")