Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 1996 22:12:21 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        BRETT_GLASS@infoworld.com
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, scsi@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with Adaptec EISA twin SCSI?

>> Have you ever used CVS?
>
>'fraid I never have. Most of my UNIX programming has consisted of
>monolithic utility programs that I've done all myself.... No real need for
>version control. I don't know what it would involve to create a CVS tree,
>but it sounds like overkill for one patch.

Once your setup, you have total control over what patches come into
your "critical" server, and what doesn't.  Its actually quite easy
to setup:

grab CVSup from freefall.FreeBSD.org:/pub/CVSup and follow its directions
for pulling down the CVS tree.

setenv CVSROOT /dir/where/you/put/cvs/tree
cd /usr    /*It doesn't have to be in /usr, but mine is*/
rm -rf src /*Kill your old src tree since CVS will
            *complain that its in the way */
cvs co -rRELENG_2_1_0 src

You now have a checked out copy of stable.  You can update your cvs
tree at will and whenever you want to pull something in, you do
something like:
cd /usr/src
cvs update -rRELENG_2_1_0

If you only want to update a few files, specify them to the update command
and that's all that will come in.

>I admit to being blissfully ignorant of the overall kernel architecture of
>FreeBSD. (Much of the knowledge seems to be folklore; I've not seen
>anything written that really explains it. I'd love to attend a seminar on
>this, if one was given.)

Go to one of the 4.4BSD seminars at Usenix or other *NIX conventions.

>I've successfully made small patches to drivers
>without really understanding the "big picture" (for instance, the one that
>turns off "green mode" on a Seagate IDE drive), but don't yet know enough
>to write a NEW driver from scratch.

There aren't any "how to" documents yet although there will be one for the
SCSI system before USENIX rolls around.

>> If you can't do that, copy the following files (once you see my commit
>> mail for the stable branch) into your source tree and recompile your
>> kernel:
>>
>> sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.c
>> sys/i386/scsi/aic7xxx.h
>> sys/dev/aic7xxx/*
>> sys/i386/eisa/aic7770.c
>> sys/pci/aic7870.c
>> sys/scsi/scsi_message.h /* New file */
>
>Hmmm.... I've never gotten "commit mail," so I guess I'm not on that list.
>But I wonder if the organization of the files has changed. 2.1.0 doesn't
>have a sys/i386/eisa/aic7770.c; the ahc code seems to be in sys/isa. Will
>the new code "fit?"

You're running 2.1.0?  Ouch.  That driver was totally buggy.  I thought you
were running 2.1.5R.  If you pull down the source for 2.1.5R, you can do
a "make world" upgrade just by recompiling the whole system.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations