Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 10:17:25 +0200
From:      Miroslav Kes <mira@rockwell.cz>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heavy CAM Problems...

Rolf Larsson wrote:

> Alain Hebert said something like this:
> > Hi!
> >
> >       I'm using CAM with a ASUS P2B-DS (AIC7890AB/3860) mtb, 1x4.5G Cheetah,
> > 1x9G Cheetah and a SCSI-2 Yamaha Writer...
> >
> [snip]
> >
> >       But 19980712 and 19980716 Snapshot are currently giving me a "Data-path
> > parity error at 0x17b".
>
> FWIW, I am getting exactly the same error, on a very similar setup.
> ASUS motherboard with AIC7890AB/3860, 2xPII-400 and 256MB ECC memory,
> 1x9G Cheetah (LVD) and (when I get the snapshot to work) a Yamaha SCSI-2
> CD-writer. The system is not overclocked. :-

Although I have reported successful use of CAM on a machine with U2W
disks couple weeks ago. I have the same problem now.
I have Micro-star ATX LX6 Motherboard with Intel 82371AB chipset
(Pentium II 266MHz) , PCI Adaptec 2940U2W and Seagate 32272W, 32151N and
2x 39173 LW disks.
Even if the only disk left is the 32272W (system disk) I'm getting:
"ahc0: brkadrint, Data path Parity Error at seqaddr=0x17e"
message during the boot.

Sometimes (very rarely) I succeed to boot. The behavior is hard to
predict. Originally I thought it had something to do with the SCSI
termination, cables too close to the power source unit etc. because it
usually stopped working after I put the cover on the machine, put it
from the table on the floor etc.

The discussion 19980716 versus 980520 snapshot made me to try one
experiment. When the 980520 snapshot was released Adrzej Bialecki
(hopefully I remember the spelling correctly) announced a boot.flp with
980520 CAM snapshot. Now I downloaded the boot.flp from the 19980716
distribution and tried to boot from both. The 980520 booted without
problem but the 19980716 resulted in the error message we were talking
about. The only difference is that the seqaddr=0x17d and not the 0x17e
as I usually get when booting from hard drive.

Mira

|                     Miroslav Kes                        |
| Rockwell Automation Ltd.   | tel.:   (+420) 2 2425 6913 |
| Research Center Prague     | fax:    (+420) 2 250467    |
| Americka 22                | e-mail: mira@rockwell.cz   |
| 120 00 Praha 2 - Vinohrady |                            |
| Czech Republic             |                            |