Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 10:41:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crypt() equiv?

On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Ian Grigg wrote:

> >   Is there a crypt() equiv in the Java class libs?  I'm trying to re-code
> > a perl adduser script in Java, and I'm hung up on what to do about
> > crypt(), and I'd like to avoid re-implementing something.
>
> Unlikely.  Java doesn't know about Unix systems stuff, and
> crypto stuff is hard to export.

  By default, crypt() on FreeBSD is MD5, and is exportable.  I'm more
interested in the standard Unix DES crypt() though.  The strange thing is
that standard DES crypt() is much easier to brute force than MD5 crypt(),
but the DES crypt() is export controlled...

> In Cryptix 3.0.3 there is a crypt program, which implements
> the DES variant (from memory).  It doesn't do the hash
> variant of crypt, but that is probably implemented with
> MD5 and that is also included if you fancy hacking around.

  Ugh... rewriting crypt() from scratch seems faster...

> iang
>
> PS: http://www.cryptix.org/

Tom