Date:      Thu, 25 Jun 1998 19:55:36 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, phk@critter.freebsd.dk
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lazy syncing of timestamps for special files

>I think the first part of {ffs,ext2}_update() should be put in an
>ufs_update() function which is called from those two places.

Most of the first part is also duplicated in itimes().  I'd like to
call itimes() (perhaps renamed) from xxx_update(), but this requires
reorganising UFS_UPDATE() to distinguish the cases where the atime
and mtime are just the current time (all cases except xxx_setattr()).
Perhaps the best reorganisation is to set the atime and mtime in
xxx_setattr() and clear IN_ACCESS, etc. to reflect the update being
performed, and not pass the atime and mtime to UFS_UPDATE().

Bruce