Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 2002 22:03:36 +0000
From:      lewiz <purple@lewiz.info>
To:        richard childers / kg6hac <fscked@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Working remotely.

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:19:03PM -0800, richard childers / kg6hac wrote:
> Reading your questions, I am left unclear as to whether the NFS, NIS/YP, =
and
> server are at home, or at work.

Sorry, I have the NFS, NIS/YP stuff at home.

> The question then becomes, which is the master and which is the slave, or
> copy? I recommend thinking of your laptop's current contents as the maste=
r,
> it makes things easier but if your server is providing megastorage for yo=
ur
> MP3 collection, you're going to have to evolve your own, more complex
> algorithm for synchronizing specific elements of your home directories on
> each system with one another.

While, yes, as everybody I think these days, I have my music/video
collection, I was planning on leaving that where it was :)  However, I
already had some rsync stuff going to work around the fact that I don't
want/need all my mail for the past n years -- I have a current mail (3
months at the most) that I would be taking with me, I've accounted for
this, as suggested.

> Perhaps this is a better approach, anyway; what needs to be synchronized?=
 If
> you're using it as a backup mechanism, maybe tar(1)'ing up your home
> directory into a timestamped tar(5) file and copying that to the server m=
kes
> more sense, along with a complementing script that deletes all tar(5) fil=
es
> over N days old, to keep disk usage to a minimum.

I'm not so keen on this method.  I would much prefer a synchronization
idea, not a backup.  Firstly, it's much quicker for me to pick up and go
in the morning, and to get everything in synch when I get back.  Also,
this could cause problems if I were to log on to my workstation at home
before connecting the laptop, etc.

> The other problem is the relationship between NIS/YP login information and
> your local login information. It sort of sounds like this laptop was built
> with a built-in NFS/NIS/YP dependency that assumed that you'd be using it=
 on
> campus only. Not very well thought out, or tested, IMHO.

Hehe, my bad.  Yeah, that's how it's all done though -- I've only just
got a hold of this laptop so until now I've not had need for it ;)

> I would recommend creating a login which we will call your 'off-campus',
> 'roving', or 'disconnected' login. This login has a UID and GID of N, and=
> home directory of, say, /local/home/roving.

To begin with when I read this I thought you must have been smoking
something.  I was wondering how on earth I would bridge the gap between
two different UID/GIDs, until I figured out what you meant by ``N''.
This is a truly superb idea, that I would not have thought of.  UNIX is
truly about simplicity :)  I shall get this implemented right away.  My
only consideration here is which goes first in the passwd file -- the
roving user or the NIS/YP hash thingy?  I'll play around with this and
figure it out.

  Many thanks for your response.  It's already been very useful and I've
not got around to implementing some of it yet ;)  What I think I'll be
doing is using the ``Unison'' utily suggested by Eric De Mund to
synchronize the two logins in conjunction with the secondary username
you suggested.  Thanks again, I'll follow up with how I got on.

-lewiz.

--=20
If you have a procedure with 10 parameters, you probably missed some.
--|| url: http://lewiz.info/ | http://www.westwood.karoo.net/pgpkey ||--

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY

--OXfL5xGRrasGEqWY--