Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:24:33 +0000
From:      Jon Mercer <jon.mercer@achean.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Free BSD 5.3 SMP Kernel

I'm just guessing, but it sounds like you come from a Linux background.

What you want to do is roll your own kernel by copying
the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC file
to /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/MYSYSTEMNAME

Upper case system names are traditionally used for the kernel config
file in unix. HP-UX is the same, IIRC.

Edit in:

<quote>
# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options         SMP             # Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device          apic            # I/O APIC
</quote>

You will also want to change things like ident to MYSYSTEMNAME. There
are a plethora of other options to have a play with as well.

after you've finished editing go to /usr/src and run

make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYSYSTEMNAME

then

make installkernel KERNCONF=MYSYSTEMNAME

then reboot.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html will help you tremendously. Personally I find the whole process much simpler than configuring a Linux kernel.

Regards,

Jon