Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 1997 19:33:22 -0800
From:      Sean Eric Fagan <sef@Kithrup.COM>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   New vm86 patches

I have placed the current patches that msmith and I are using (jlemon
is a bit ahead of us ;)) on freefall.freebsd.org, in ~ftp/pub/sef.
The files are:

	Doscmdrc
	doscmd_fbsd-970228.tar.gz
	vm86-2.2-GAMMA.diffs.gz

The patches are relative to 2.2-970212-GAMMA; later snapshots may fail in
in some places.  Note that there is a new file -- vm86.h; it goes in
i386/include.  (Oh.  The patches are relative to /sys/i386; that is, do

	cd /sys/i386
	patch < /tmp/vm86-2.2-GAMMA.diffs

and make sure that include/vm86.h was created properly.)

The Doscmdrc file is exactly what I used last night to "boot" OpenDOS.

Currently, it is *very* easy to hang your system!  There seems to be a loop
in the kernel, or a tight loop between doscmd and the kernel with no other
process getting any CPU time.  (Interrupt-driven things continue to work.
Annoying.)

I grabbed the OpenDOS installation from www.caldera.com, and extracted the
disk images from it by doing:

	cp doscmd doscmd.kernel /tmp
	cp DODL701.EXE /tmp/doit.exe
	./doscmd doit.exe		# try /doit.exe if it doesn't work?

I created a 32Mbyte "hard disk" by doing:

	dd if=/dev/zero of=$HOME/harddisk bs=1m count=32

Then, I copied disk01.img to /tmp/floppy.img, and ran

	./doscmd -x

after changing the boot C: to boot A: in my ~/.doscmdrc file.  When the
install process asked me to "change floppies," I did:

	cat /tmp/disk02.img > /tmp/floppy.img

(and similarly for disk03.img later).

And that was about it.  Oh, when fdisk told me to "Press any key to reboot,"
after "formatting" the "hard disk," I hit control-alt-mousebutton, to shut
down doscmd.  Otherwise, the system hangs.  (As I said, it's terribly easy
to do this.)

Enjoy.

Sean.