Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 17:57:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svgalib? (forget the newbies)

(i hope no one takes offence at this, please badger me and show me where i
can find stuff to answer this)

This discussion has drifted towards the idea of making FreeBSD easier to
setup, i don't agree much with this, not that it is a bad idea, however
more important features need to be looked at (although /stand/sysinstall
dying all the time is kinda annoying)

specifically here's my gripe with FreeBSD and the XFree86 peoples, COMMENT
YOUR CODE A LITTLE MORE DAMMIT :)
I've been doing low level programming on a M$DOS platform for a long time
and i feel my skills could be of some use to FreeBSD, but just looking
through the source is sorta a nightmare.  It's like watching a soap that's
been on for years for the first time, you have no idea what sort of
dependancies are going on and which device driver is sleeping with
whom... :)

it's not just tracing through the code, i know the structure allows for
such great things as CVSups and other methods of updating the sourcecode,
but some simple documentation explaining how to not only make code for
freebsd, but something that is compadible with the structures already in
place would be nice...

(i'm going to hide for a few days now)

-Alfred