Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 23:40:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Lars Gerhard Kuehl <kuehl@lgk.de>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, mellon@pobox.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux as a Mozilla total reference platform

> I still stand behind my statement : FreeBSD supporters by enlarge are
> laze when it comes to promoting FreeBSD. My feeling is that we are
> *too* comfortable in our mailing lists and just hate to leave our
> cozy environ.
>
>         Amancio

I agree. I was just busy analysing the German FreeBSD market particularly
comparing with the Linux efforts.
Four things are quite obvious:

  I.    Linux is quite successful due to commercial advertisement
        for the many Linux and Linux-related products.

  II.   FreeBSD is getting notably more into commercial focus. Also
        people discontented with Linux or MS products are asking
        for information about FreeBSD and brothers.

  III.  Either commercial as well as private users of FreeBSD are
        not sufficiently attracted by the currently available
        support media. Currently a book on FreeBSD is being written
        because the publisher house was asked for it by interested
        users. (Hellmuth Michaelis and me will probably be co-authors.)

  IV.   There are already some (obviously fairly satisfied and convinced)
        commercial supporters of FreeBSD, which do not communicate over the
        FreeBSD mailing lists. The capacity is insufficient though.

What the product FreeBSD would need is:

  I.    Advertisement. In particular advertisement by commercial
        suppliers and supporters. It's much more persuading (and that's
        what's needed) to say "I rely on selling FreeBSD" than on
        "I rely on the product FreBSD". In Germany Suse and Delix
        realise the most efficient Linux promotion. FreeBSD needs
        the same. (I actually considered to found something like
        "Fuse".)

  II.   The support for FreeBSD needs an organisational frame with name.
        "FreeBSD Competence Centres" or "FreeBSD Solution Providers"
        were very helpful (for the product :).

I could imagine to (try to) coordinate the efforts of "non-volunteer"
supporters for FreeBSD in Germany.

FreeBSD has a good chance to become the reference of choice for many
products if it will have a solid economical base. I recently read
on the BriggAcct home page something like "Especially for Linux is
no support available due to the many different Linux distributions."

        Lars

                                          Ph:   +49 40 54768010
Lars Gerhard Kuehl                        Fx:   +49 40 54768012
                                          Mo:   +49 171 9307085
   EDV-Beratung                           Em:   kuehl@lgk.de