Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 95 18:45 EDT
From:      keshav@research.att.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ankur
Subject:   getty problem in init

I am running FreeBSD 2.0.5 on a 486/66 PC. In an attempt to get kernel core
dumps, I edited /etc/rc to add dumpon, with a parameter set to the primary
swapping device. Since this did not result in a dump, I modified the call
to savecore to force a dump (savecore -f in /etc/rc). When the system did crash,
/etc/init comes up in a weird state, stating that it could not run getty on
some devices because there was no such file. This warning is repeated about
once every 30 seconds, and the system never proceeds beyond that state.
What might be going on here? Is there a way to retrieve the system with reinstalling
everything?

I would appreciate any help!

thanks

keshav