Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 12:04:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
Cc:        questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Minimum Space, Release Date for 2.1

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995, Don's FList drop wrote:

> Or find a used 386 motherboard on the net for <$70! (Then you get to run
> FreeBSD, _must_ be a better solution. <grin>) I've bought butt-slow
> 386s that would allow me to use older memory from my 286s...

I go to a lot of computer shows and HAM fests (amateur radio operator swap
meets); you can get TONS of great deals on stuff.  I recently bought 3
WD8013E ethernet cards out of a box of junk for $1/ea.  I figured one
would be good.  All three were... :-)  I've also bought motherboards
pretty cheap - like $15 for a 386sx16 - (barely) adequate to run FBSD as a
router; and $40 for a 486sx new in the box.  'course you get what you pay
for - used equipment isn't guaranteed to work!!  :-)

Check out "http://www.acs.oakland.edu/barc/arrl/hamfests.html" for the
list of ARRL sponsored ham fests.

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
|                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
|                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |