Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 00:34:12 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vendor-specific processor hacks

  In light of the current F00F bug, and other vendor-specific hacks, such as
the performance tuning for the Curix chipsets and Intel's floating-point bug,
and other items of that issue, I would like to propose adding a set of options
to define the vendor target range of the kernel.
  This would, in effect, allow for an easy method of conditionally compiling
vendor-specific hacks. For example, the F00F hack would be wrapping in an
#ifdef defined(I586_CPU) && (CPU_INTEL) && !defined(CPU_NO_F00F_HACK) /* ... */
#endif pair, and in the kernel you'd see :

options	CPU_INTEL	#Enable Intel Quirks

  A CPU_vendor tag would be a very clean and easy way to manage these
vendor-specific hacks, and it allows us to easily integrate new vendor bugfixes
without affecting the people who don't have a processor from that vendor. (For
example, all of my FreBSD boxes except for my crash machine are AMD chipsets,
and I am soon going to be upgrading that machine to an AMD processor. The Intel
F00F bug never affected me, and it never should. Beleive it or not, Club Intel
folks, there are a lot more AMD machines out there than you think. :))
  On the other hand, on the hypothetical event that an AMD processor bug ever
appears, I would like to rest assured that a simple cvsup and recompile with my
current config (with a CPU_AMD defined) would have the latest AMD bugfixes.

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."