Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 16:22:27 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        marcus@marciscom.com, john_m_cooper@yahoo.com, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Testers wanted for pre-build RC2 GNOME packages

Hi folks,

Release Engineering team has prepared the set of packages for the
second 4.5 Release Candidate. I would like to ask people with
sufficient bandwidth to test how well gnome metaport could be
installed with `pkg_add -r' to avoid unfortunate situation we had with
4.4 pre-built GNOME packages. Unfortunately, due to the lack of
bandwidth I can't do the testing by myself.

Set of packages is available at
ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.5-RC2 -
you probably have to tweak /usr/src/usr.sbin/pkg_install/add/main.c to
use correct URL. To test it properly you'll need to delete all
installed packages (tar up /usr/X11R6 and /usr/local, delete those
dirs and move /var/db/pkg out of the way), and then do `pkg_add -r
gnome' using hacked pkg_add binary. After the testing is done, you
could easily restore your previous set of packages by deleting
/usr/X11R6, /usr/local /var/db/pkg, unpacking archived /usr/X11R6 and
/usr/local and moving old /var/db/pkg back.

Please report your success or failure to gnome@FreeBSD.org.

Thanks!

-Maxim