Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:41:29 -0600
From:      "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Guns and freedom [Was: Re: On "intelligent people" and "dangers to  BSD"]

At 04:10 30-03-2000 +0100, Paul Richards wrote:
>One of the things  people often forget when considering insurrections of
>the people are that the armed forces of the govt are also the people.
>You won't get the army killing friends and relatives, or fellow
>countrymen, just because the govt says so.

Just as a side note: I grew up in Czechoslovakia, a country that no longer
exists because it split into two countries, the Czech Republic and
Slovakia. The government of Czechoslovakia was aware of the point you made,
so they sent most Czechs to military service in Slovakia, and most Slovaks
to what is now the Czech Republic.

There used to be tension between Czechs and Slovaks, even hatred,
especially before 1968. The government was hoping they could use Slovak
soldiers to control Czech civilians, and Czech soldiers to control Slovak
civilians.

I believe it had the opposite effect actually. Young men of each nation got
to know the people of the other nation, found many friends, and the
tensions were lessened. They eventually decided to split into two
countries, and did it quite peacefully.

Adam
"I think, therefore I am."
                    - Seventeenth Century Philosophy

"I publish what I think, therefore I have."
                    - Twenty-First Century Action

Details at http://www.OnlinePublisher.net/