Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 18:33:58 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   generating barcode, and general barcode issues

This isn't exactly a FreeBSD question, but I intend to use FreeBSD for
this application. And this is the best group of people I know to ask.

Looking for suggestions on how to generate barcode output. Think
Postscript can be assumed. But understand there are many different
barcode formats and haven't found a reference describing why one would
be better than another.

If it helps, the smallest item I plan to be tracking with this barcode
system is a 4mm DDS tape. If possible I'll use the "small label end"
where the write protect notch also exists. This way tapes could be
inventoried while stacked on the shelf. That is if the reader can scan
thru the plastic box. If not, we'll put stickers on the box too.

Any advice as to guns/wands for reading barcode? Some have an async
serial interface, some plug in between the keyboard and computer.
Expect my choice of barcode format will largely be driven by the
selection of barcode reader.