Date:      Fri, 6 Apr 2012 11:13:49 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Andrey Zonov <andrey@zonov.org>
Cc:        alc@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Alan Cox <alc@rice.edu>
Subject:   Re: problems with mmap() and disk caching

--WO8U4WFuZV7m254k

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 11:54:53PM +0400, Andrey Zonov wrote:
> On 05.04.2012 23:41, Konstantin Belousov wrote:
> >>[snip]

> >>Thanks Alan!  Now it works as I expect!
> >>
> >>But I have more questions to you and kib@.  They are in my test below.
> >>
> >>So, prepare file as earlier, and take information about memory usage
> >>from top(1).  After preparation, but before test:
> >>Mem: 80M Active, 55M Inact, 721M Wired, 215M Buf, 46G Free
> >>
> >>First run:
> >>$ ./mmap /mnt/random
> >>mmap:  1 pass took:   7.462865 (none:      0; res: 262144; super:
> >>0; other:      0)
> >>
> >>No super pages after first run, why?..
> >>
> >>Mem: 79M Active, 1079M Inact, 722M Wired, 216M Buf, 45G Free
> >>
> >>Now the file is in inactive memory, that's good.
> >>
> >>Second run:
> >>$ ./mmap /mnt/random
> >>mmap:  1 pass took:   0.004191 (none:      0; res: 262144; super:
> >>511; other:      0)
> >>
> >>All super pages are here, nice.
> >>
> >>Mem: 1103M Active, 55M Inact, 722M Wired, 216M Buf, 45G Free
> >>
> >>Wow, all inactive pages moved to active and sit there even after process
> >>was terminated, that's not good, what do you think?
> >Why do you think this is 'not good' ? You have plenty of free memory,
> >there is no memory pressure, and all pages were referenced recently.
> >THere is no reason for them to be deactivated.
> >
>=20
> I always thought that active memory this is a sum of resident memory of=
=20
> all processes, inactive shows disk cache and wired shows kernel itself.
So you are wrong. Both active and inactive memory can be mapped and
not mapped, both can belong to vnode or to anonymous objects etc.
Active/inactive distinction is only the amount of references that was
noted by pagedaemon, or some other page history like the way it was
unwired.

Wired is not neccessary means kernel-used pages, user processes can
wire their pages as well.
>=20
> >>
> >>Read the file:
> >>$ cat /mnt/random>  /dev/null
> >>
> >>Mem: 79M Active, 55M Inact, 1746M Wired, 1240M Buf, 45G Free
> >>
> >>Now the file is in wired memory.  I do not understand why so.
> >You do use UFS, right ?
>=20
> Yes.
>=20
> >There is enough buffer headers and buffer KVA
> >to have buffers allocated for the whole file content. Since buffers wire
> >corresponding pages, you get pages migrated to wired.
> >
> >When there appears a buffer pressure (i.e., any other i/o started),
> >the buffers will be repurposed and pages moved to inactive.
> >
>=20
> OK, how can I get amount of disk cache?
You cannot. At least I am not aware of any counter that keeps track
of the resident pages belonging to vnode pager.

Buffers should not be thought as disk cache, pages cache disk content.
Instead, VMIO buffers only provide bread()/bwrite() compatible interface
to the page cache (*) for filesystems.
(*) - The cache term is used in generic term, not to confuse with
cached pages counter from top etc.

>=20
> >>
> >>Could you please give me explanation about active/inactive/wired memory?

> >>[snip]
> >>
> >>--
> >>Andrey Zonov
>=20