Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 2021 15:11:45 -0800
From:      Mark Millard via freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
To:        "tuexen@freebsd.org" <tuexen@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: "Khelp module "ertt" can't unload until its refcount drops from 1 to 0." after "All buffers synced."?

<freebsd-current@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>=20
>> I've not noticed the ertt message before in:
>>=20
>> . . .
>> Waiting (max 60 seconds) for system thread `bufspacedaemon-1' to =
stop... done
>> All buffers synced.
>> Uptime: 1d9h57m18s
>> Khelp module "ertt" can't unload until its refcount drops from 1 to =
0.
> Hi Mark,
>=20
> what kernel configuration are you using? What kernel modules are =
loaded?

The shutdown was of my ZFS boot media but the machine is
currently doing builds on the UFS media. (The ZFS media is
present but not mounted). For now I provide information
from the booted UFS system. The UFS context is intended
to be nearly a copy of the brctl selection for main [so: 14]
from the ZFS media. Both systems have been doing the same
poudriere builds for various comparison/contrast purposes.
The current build activity will likely take 16+ hrs.

For reference for now (from UFS context):

# uname -apKU
FreeBSD HC_CA72_UFS 14.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT #19 =
main-n250667-20aa359773be-dirty: Sun Nov 14 02:57:32 PST 2021     =
root@CA72_16Gp_ZFS:/usr/obj/BUILDs/main-CA72-nodbg-clang/usr/main-src/arm6=
4.aarch64/sys/GENERIC-NODBG-CA72  arm64 aarch64 1400042 1400042

This environment was built with -mcpu=3Dcortex-a72 in use and the
system is a 16 core Cortex-A72 system. (I've caught a FreeBSD
weak memory model error in the past with such -mcpu=3Dcortext-a72
use on a Cortext-A72 system, not that I have evidence of such
here.)

# kldstat
Id Refs Address                Size Name
 1   18 0xffff000000000000  12b1660 kernel
 2    1 0xffff0000012b2000   41e070 zfs.ko
 3    1 0xffff0000016d1000    26af8 cryptodev.ko
 4    1 0xffff00019a400000    27000 nullfs.ko
 5    1 0xffff00019a427000    25000 fdescfs.ko

# more /usr/main-src/sys/arm64/conf/GENERIC-NODBG-CA72
include "GENERIC-NODBG"

ident   GENERIC-NODBG-CA72

makeoptions     CONF_CFLAGS=3D"-mcpu=3Dcortex-a72"

# more /usr/main-src/sys/arm64/conf/GENERIC-NODBG
#
# GENERIC -- Custom configuration for the arm64/aarch64
#

include "GENERIC"

ident   GENERIC-NODBG

makeoptions     DEBUG=3D-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) =
debug symbols

options         ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER

options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger support

# For minimum debugger support (stable branch) use:
#options        KDB_TRACE               # Print a stack trace for a =
panic
options         DDB                     # Enable the kernel debugger

# Extra stuff:
#options        VERBOSE_SYSINIT=3D0       # Enable verbose sysinit =
messages
#options        BOOTVERBOSE=3D1
#options        BOOTHOWTO=3DRB_VERBOSE
#options        KTR
#options        KTR_MASK=3DKTR_TRAP
##options       KTR_CPUMASK=3D0xF
#options        KTR_VERBOSE

# Disable any extra checking for. . .
nooptions       DEADLKRES               # Enable the deadlock resolver
nooptions       INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra sanity =
checking
nooptions       INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of =
internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
nooptions       WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect =
deadlocks and cycles
nooptions       WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on spinlocks =
for speed
nooptions       DIAGNOSTIC
nooptions       MALLOC_DEBUG_MAXZONES   # Separate malloc(9) zones
nooptions       BUF_TRACKING
nooptions       FULL_BUF_TRACKING

The builds do include a bulk for targeting armv7
(so 32-bit compatibility) but that bulk has not
started yet in the UFS context.

# poudriere jail -jmain-CA7 -i
Jail name:         main-CA7
Jail version:      14.0-CURRENT
Jail arch:         arm.armv7
Jail method:       null
Jail mount:        /usr/obj/DESTDIRs/main-CA7-poud
Jail fs:          =20
Jail updated:      2021-11-16 02:24:57
Jail pkgbase:      disabled

My networking context is simple context does not provide
services outside the local network. The services are normal
ones, such as nfs, ssh, and whatever default things. ntpd
is in use. distfiles are downloaded during builds. It is not
a desktop environment, not even a video card.

I've noticed a 2021-Feb-22 report in:

=
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/whats-the-error-khelp-module-ertt-unloa=
d.79009/

so getting the message does not appear to be unique to my
context.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com