Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 17:40:55 +0100 (MET)
From:      hm@hcs.de (Hellmuth Michaelis)
To:        Michael.Bielicki@linkdesign.com
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: receive buffer overflows en masse

>From the keyboard of Michael.Bielicki@linkdesign.com:

> Hi there,
> is there a possibility in the code to enlarge the recieve buffer size ?

It has nothing to do with buffer sizes. It is related to HSCX interrupts
which are not served in time and (i suspect) the trailing HDLC flag of a
frame containing IP data gets lost somehow causing the receive buffer
holding one IP packet to overflow.

> I am using i4b on CURRENT from exactly speaking friday morning 9 AM CET
> :) and it runs perfect (never had such an easy setup done in the kernel
> :)). Only thing are the never ending messages about receive buffer
> overflows.

These messages also are the symptoms for the mentioned interrupt handling
problems.

There seem to be times when the IRQ is blocked too long by spl's but i
have not found out when and under what circumstances. The only thing i
noticed is when i do disk i/o on the only machine which has IDE drives
here i'm able to produce this problem easily.

> BTW this machine servers 12 PC_s with 95/NT over one ISDN connection
> using i4b and NAT 24h a day. It cut my phone costs compared with the
> complicated BISDN by using the idle time stuff by about 40%.

Good to hear :-)

hellmuth
--
Hellmuth Michaelis                                    Tel   +49 40 559747-70
HCS Hanseatischer Computerservice GmbH                Fax   +49 40 559747-77