Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:08:28 -0500
From:      Jack Stone <jacks@sage-american.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rewrite redirects

I thought I had this figured out but discovered I have a BIG flaw with
my .htaccess redirects After days of searching and experimenting, I
still can't get this to do what I intended.

I have moved all of the content on a web site from the web root to a
different directory. Now I need toredirect the URL requests from the
old location to the new one. Instead of issuing a 301 error, I want to
first redirect to an info page, let's call it "info.htm." Here's what
I have now in the web root's .htaccess.

Here's the way it was/is:

~webroot/lots_of.html
....and now changed to this:
~webroot/content/lots_of.html

Using the apache mod_rewritein .htaccess
RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule /~webroot/(.*\.html) /^info.htm [PT]

....which is supposed to redirect any page with the extension ".html"
to the info.htm page. BUT, alas any "*.html page in any directory will
redirect back to the info.htm page!! What I wanted is that only the
"*.html pages in the ~webroot to be redirected to the info page.

I hope this make sense and I hope someone can give me a tip on how to
limit the redirects to only the webroot pages.

Thanks in advance.....

All the best,
Jack