Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 1997 07:43:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        fenner@parc.xerox.com (Bill Fenner)
Cc:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, fenner@parc.xerox.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I rather see the tcp/ip stack fixed than vat patched

> Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com> wrote:
> >Bill care to comment?
>
> For the first patch, I fail to see how adding a setsockopt to set
> IP_MULTICAST_LOOP to its default value when creating a new socket

Ok, I take it back...
I just copied a patch which was floating, and thought that the
socket involved was opened using IPNetwork::openssock() in net-ip.cc
(where loopack is turned off). I had no idea that loopback was
enabled by default.

> changes anything.  For the second patch, if that's how the kernel
> behaves, then vat should deal with it and although the kernel should be
> fixed, it makes sense to make vat deal with earlier kernels.  I don't
> have a test machine available to me now, so if you want anything more
> from me it'll have to wait until I get back to CA.

FWIW I experienced this behaviour several times on a 2.2.1 machine --
it is quite easy to find out, if you run vat using unicast and the
remote party is not receiving, as soon as you start talking you get
the ICMP back and the other party becomes unable to get your audio
(which is ok because in the meantime you are screaming louder and
louder clicking all buttons and putting out the best of your language
wondering why you _can_ hear...).

	Cheers
	Luigi