Date:      Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:46:53 -0500
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   64-bit time_t snapshot?

I mentioned this to Garance and we talked about it a little bit but
I'm not sure if we decided one way or another if this is worth doing.

After 5.2.1-RELEASE is loaded on ftp-master I could try doing a
snapshot build for sparc64 that has the 64-bit time_t stuff incorporated
into it.  That way *if* someone trashes a machine trying to do the
upgrade (by all reports Garance's instructions are really good :-)
they could load off this snapshot instead of off 5.2.1-RELEASE and
re-attempting the upgrade.

Does this seem worth doing?  I could see about providing the same basic
set of packages that normally come on disc1 pre-built on a 64-bit time_t
system as part of this.  Normally portmgr@ does the package builds
for the releases so I haven't needed to do any of those yet but I
think I know how...

If this is worth doing, any thoughts on whether it would be best to
base it on 5.2.1-RELEASE (plus just the time_t change) or would it
be better to try and catch a -current that seems stable?  The release
building procedure I've been doing needs to suck everything out of a
CVS repo as it builds the release so I'd need to freeze a copy of the
repo and add in the time_t change to it locally for this snapshot build.

Thanks.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu