Date:      Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:35:56 +0100
From:      Julio Merino <juli@merino.net>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Floppy disk section - Check it!

--Fba/0zbH8Xs+Fj9o

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

Hi there

At last I've converted and integrated my "Floppy disk" section inside the
handbook with sgml.

I've attached the section here, in html format. Sorry, I haven't found any
ftp service now to put it...

Well, I wait all your comments and suggestions about it before I send the
text to be included in the handbook.

Thanks!

--=20
La ignorancia es la felicidad.

Julio Merino (Slink) <juli@merino.net>

--wac7ysb48OaltWcw

<HTML
><HEAD
><TITLE
>Floppy disks</TITLE
><META
NAME="GENERATOR"
CONTENT="Modular DocBook HTML Stylesheet Version 1.73
"><LINK
REL="HOME"
TITLE="FreeBSD Handbook"
HREF="index.html"><LINK
REL="UP"
TITLE="Storage"
HREF="disks.html"><LINK
REL="PREVIOUS"
TITLE="Backups to Floppies"
HREF="backups-floppybackups.html"><LINK
REL="NEXT"
TITLE="Appendices"
HREF="p1541.html"><LINK
REL="STYLESHEET"
TYPE="text/css"
HREF="docbook.css"></HEAD
><BODY
CLASS="SECT1"
BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF"
TEXT="#000000"
LINK="#0000FF"
VLINK="#840084"
ALINK="#0000FF"
><DIV
CLASS="NAVHEADER"
><TABLE
SUMMARY="Header navigation table"
WIDTH="100%"
BORDER="0"
CELLPADDING="0"
CELLSPACING="0"
><TR
><TH
COLSPAN="3"
ALIGN="center"
>FreeBSD Handbook</TH
></TR
><TR
><TD
WIDTH="10%"
ALIGN="left"
VALIGN="bottom"
><A
HREF="backups-floppybackups.html"
ACCESSKEY="P"
>Prev</A
></TD
><TD
WIDTH="80%"
ALIGN="center"
VALIGN="bottom"
>Chapter 1  Storage</TD
><TD
WIDTH="10%"
ALIGN="right"
VALIGN="bottom"
><A
HREF="p1541.html"
ACCESSKEY="N"
>Next</A
></TD
></TR
></TABLE
><HR
ALIGN="LEFT"
WIDTH="100%"></DIV
><DIV
CLASS="SECT1"
><H1
CLASS="SECT1"
><A
NAME="FLOPPIES"
>1.11  Floppy disks</A
></H1
><I
CLASS="AUTHORGROUP"
><SPAN
CLASS="CONTRIB"
>Contributed by </SPAN
>Julio Merino.  </I
><P
>Floppy disks are, nowadays, an old-fashioned medium to
    store/share data. Although, there are still some times when you
    need to use them, because you do not have any other removable
    storage media or you need to use what you have saved in them on
    any other computer.</P
><P
>This section will explain how to use floppy disks in
    FreeBSD, that is, formating and copying/restoring data from
    them. But... I really have written this to help you about how to
    create forced-size floppies.</P
><DIV
CLASS="SECT2"
><H2
CLASS="SECT2"
><A
NAME="AEN1485"
>1.11.1  The device</A
></H2
><P
>Floppy disks are accessed throught entries in
      <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/dev</TT
> (like any other device). To access the
      raw floppy disk you can use <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/dev/rfdX</TT
>,
      where X stands for the drive number, usually 0. When the disk is
      formatted you can use <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/dev/fdX</TT
>, or
      whichever of the other devices named
      <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/dev/fdXY</TT
>, where Y stands for a
      letter. These are all the same.</P
><P
>Other important devices are
      <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/dev/fdX.size</TT
>, where size is a floppy disk
      size in kilobytes. These entries are used at low-level format
      time to determine the disk size.</P
></DIV
><DIV
CLASS="SECT2"
><H2
CLASS="SECT2"
><A
NAME="AEN1494"
>1.11.2  Formatting</A
></H2
><P
>A floppy disk needs to be low-level formated before it can
      be used.  This is usually done by the vendor but you may want to
      do it to check media integrity or to force the disk capacity to
      be bigger.</P
><P
>To format the floppy at a low-level fashion you need to
      use <B
CLASS="APPLICATION"
>fdformat</B
>. This utility expects
      the device name as an argument. We will use those
      <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/dev/fdX.size</TT
> devices, which will allow us
      to format the floppy to its real size, or force them.  So you
      insert a new 3.5inch floppy disk in your drive and issue:</P
><PRE
CLASS="SCREEN"
>    <TT
CLASS="PROMPT"
>#</TT
> <TT
CLASS="USERINPUT"
><B
>/usr/sbin/fdformat /dev/rfd0.1440</B
></TT
></PRE
><P
>This will take a while... You should notice any disk error
      here (this can help you determining which disks are good or
      bad).</P
><P
>To force the floppy disk size, we will use other entries
      in <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/dev</TT
>.  Get the same floppy and issue:

      <PRE
CLASS="SCREEN"
>    <TT
CLASS="PROMPT"
>#</TT
> <TT
CLASS="USERINPUT"
><B
>/usr/sbin/fdformat /dev/rfd0.1720</B
></TT
></PRE

      </P
><P
>It will take some more time than before (forced disks are
      slower).  When it finishes, you will have a 1720kb floppy disk,
      but for the moment you will not notice any difference. You may
      use other disk sizes that you can find in /dev, but the most
      stable/compatible is the 1720kb for 3.5inch disks.</P
></DIV
><DIV
CLASS="SECT2"
><H2
CLASS="SECT2"
><A
NAME="AEN1510"
>1.11.3  The disklabel</A
></H2
><P
>After low-level formatting the disk, you will need to
      place a disklabel on it.  This disklabel will be destroyed
      later, but it is needed by the system to determine the size of
      the disk and its geometry later.</P
><P
>The new disklabel will take over the whole disk, and will
      contain all the proper information about the geometry of the
      normal or forced floppy.  Take a look to
      <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/etc/disktab</TT
> now; you will see geometry
      values of all kinds of floppy disks.

      </P
><P
>You can run now <B
CLASS="APPLICATION"
>disklabel</B

      like:</P
><PRE
CLASS="SCREEN"
>    <TT
CLASS="PROMPT"
>#</TT
> <TT
CLASS="USERINPUT"
><B
>/sbin/disklabel -B -r -w /dev/rfd0 fd(size)</B
></TT
></PRE
><P
>Replace fd(size) with fd1440, fd1720 or whichever size you
      want.  The last field instructs disklabel which entry to take
      from <TT
CLASS="FILENAME"
>/etc/disktab</TT
> to use.</P
></DIV
><DIV
CLASS="SECT2"
><H2
CLASS="SECT2"
><A
NAME="AEN1522"
>1.11.4  The filesystem</A
></H2
><P
>Now your floppy is ready to be high-level formated. This
      will place a new filesystem on it, which will let FreeBSD read
      and write to the disk. After creating the new filesystem, the
      disklabel is destroyed, so if you want to reformat the disk, you
      will have to recreate the disklabel another time.</P
><P
>You can choose now which filesystem to use on your floppy.
      You can use UFS or FAT, though UFS is not a good idea for
      floppies.  Choose FAT which is nice for floppies.</P
><P
>To put a new filesystem on the floppy do this:</P
><PRE
CLASS="SCREEN"
>    <TT
CLASS="PROMPT"
>#</TT
> <TT
CLASS="USERINPUT"
><B
>/sbin/newfs_msdos /dev/fd0</B
></TT
></PRE
><P
>As we created a disklabel before, <B
CLASS="APPLICATION"
>newfs</B

      will be able to fetch disk data and construct the new
      filesystem. And now, your disk is ready for use...</P
></DIV
><DIV
CLASS="SECT2"
><H2
CLASS="SECT2"
><A
NAME="AEN1532"
>1.11.5  Using the floppy</A
></H2
><P
>You have two choices to use the floppy. You can either
      mount the disk with <B
CLASS="APPLICATION"
>mount_msdos</B
>, or you can
      use
      <B
CLASS="APPLICATION"
>mtools</B
>.
      <B
CLASS="APPLICATION"
>Mtools</B
> are great, but you will need
      to install them from the ports system.</P
><P
>Try it; issue a <B
CLASS="APPLICATION"
>mdir</B
>. If you forced the
      disk, you will notice its extra size!</P
><P
>A last note about forced disks: they are compatible with
      practically all other operating systems without any external
      utility to read/write them.  Microsoft systems will recognize
      them without problems. But note that there may be times when the
      floppy drive itself is not able to read them (this may happen
      with very old drives).</P
></DIV
></DIV
><DIV
CLASS="NAVFOOTER"
><HR
ALIGN="LEFT"
WIDTH="100%"><TABLE
SUMMARY="Footer navigation table"
WIDTH="100%"
BORDER="0"
CELLPADDING="0"
CELLSPACING="0"
><TR
><TD
WIDTH="33%"
ALIGN="left"
VALIGN="top"
><A
HREF="backups-floppybackups.html"
ACCESSKEY="P"
>Prev</A
></TD
><TD
WIDTH="34%"
ALIGN="center"
VALIGN="top"
><A
HREF="index.html"
ACCESSKEY="H"
>Home</A
></TD
><TD
WIDTH="33%"
ALIGN="right"
VALIGN="top"
><A
HREF="p1541.html"
ACCESSKEY="N"
>Next</A
></TD
></TR
><TR
><TD
WIDTH="33%"
ALIGN="left"
VALIGN="top"
>Backups to Floppies</TD
><TD
WIDTH="34%"
ALIGN="center"
VALIGN="top"
><A
HREF="disks.html"
ACCESSKEY="U"
>Up</A
></TD
><TD
WIDTH="33%"
ALIGN="right"
VALIGN="top"
>Appendices</TD
></TR
></TABLE
></DIV
align="center"
><small
>This, and other documents, can be downloaded from <A
HREF="ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/"
>ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/</A
>.</small
align="center"
HREF="http://www.FreeBSD.org/docs.html"
HREF="mailto:questions@FreeBSD.org"