Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:41:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jamie <batsy@io.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount -o -async

In the mount man page the async option is said to be very dangerous.=20
I watched someone time a tar -xvf and when the filesystem was mounted=20
asynchronously it was about 10x faster. This kind of speed is really=20
really tempting but I'm wondering if anyone has any stats on how likely=20
it is that I'll lose my filesystem(s) when it crashes. Is it garunteed or=
=20
will I just lose anything that wasn't synched to disk before the=20
crash.(40 sec worth of data) I'm using a Quantum Fireball 1.08G EIDE drive.
No, I have no intention of using this on a production machine:)

If I'm not sure what I'm talking about please don't hesitate to point it=20
out:)=20
-j

"Information wants to be $4.95" --erikb
J=E4mie Reid Jr Systems Administrator io.org/ican.net b=E4tsy@io.org/ican.n=