Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 09:28:33 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        "Nevin E. Leiby" <nel9996@ritvax.rit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Juniper IOS install woes on FreeBSD machine

If memory serves me right, "Nevin E. Leiby" wrote:
> > Umm... doesn't JunOS only run on Juniper hardware (ie. routers)?!
> > Though based on the FreeBSD kernel, I'd be surprised if you could
> > just run JunOS on a FreeBSD workstation...
> > Why would you install JunOS on a workstation?  JunOS is developed
> > especially for Juniper routers, and I would imagine has drivers writen
> > expressly for the hardware that make up a Juniper.
>
> Understandibly, but we only have access to crisco's 2500s, two or three
> 5500s, and thats about it...nothin more than that...=\ We do, however, have
> an entire lab full of spare pcs with an abundance of nics, all of which are
> compatible with the FreeBSD os...

Is there any particular reason that you need to have JunOS for your
experiments?  Depending on what you want to do, FreeBSD (or your Ciscos)
might work just fine for you.

> Although similar projects have been duplicated with the Zebra and Linux
> Router Project, it seems feasible. Unfortunately, at the moment I cannot
> quote any of the previous posts that I have read, a few posts seemed to hint
> at the ability to run the juniper code on a freebsd machine without
> requiring the juniper hardware.

I too express some skepticism that you'll be able to make this work.  A
Juniper router (well at least the M5 in my lab!) is not just a PC plus
some fancy NICs.  Do "show chassis hardware" from the CLI on a real
Juniper to see what I mean.

[snip]

> So, wouldn't it be possible to have the freebsd workstation execute the
> juniper ios code to have the low-level equivilant of a juniper router??

I think you're a little confused here.  IOS is the name of the
software that runs on Cisco routers.  It's very unusual to have the
words "Juniper" and "IOS" next to each other in the same sentence.  :-)

> certainly don't understand all of the specifics, but Im not sure how to go
> further from here...It seems as though the only [plausible] option would be
> to build the entire junos filesystem as done on a juniper router, then load
> the ios image, etc

My feeling is that even if this can be made to work, you're largely in
uncharted waters.

IANAL, but you might also check to make sure you aren't violating some
kind of licensing agreement by doing what you're proposing.

Bruce.