Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:34:17 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should URL's be pervasive.

--sgneBHv3152wZ8jf

Leo Bicknell(bicknell@ufp.org)@2001.08.30 11:10:18 +0000:
>=20
> I ran into a pair of all too common annoyances this morning that
> got me thinking.  Via the magic of cut and paste I ended up with
> the following two sorts of command lines:
>=20
> mutt mailto:bicknell@ufp.org
> traceroute http://www.ufp.org/
[...]

you might want to implement a shell that does it in its command line
parser (see: zshcompctl(1) for matching arguments depending on commands
for command line tab completion)

a rather hairy thing will be the predictability of the shell's parser,
then :-)

btw, i don't know how you guys think about it but there are more and
more people becoming browser-centric, thus internet-illiterate (i hope
this is the right word). traceroute http://... just does not look right.
neither does mailto:some@address since the mailto: is a valid lhs in
mail addressing (-> RFC2821/2822). for url-fetching it is okay, but
fetch, ncftp3 and other tools already support this fully.

the consequent step would be to standardize cutcopypaste behaviour of
browsers to strip the mailto: "protocol" from those urls before stuffing
it into the clipboard buffer.

cheers,
/k

>=20
> These of course come from the 'copy link location' available in
> most browsers.  When pasted into most Unix commands (with the
> exception of fetch and lynx, of course) the result is something
> that just doesn't work.  This got me thinking, should all commands
> know how to take an URL, and 'do the right thing'?  Could this
> be made easy by providing a standard URL parsing library that
> all commands could use for parsing?
>=20
> I'm not yet sure I understand the downsides.  In the commands above
> I am 99.9% sure mutt should know how to deal with a mailto URL,
> after all it is a mail client.  I am very unsure if I want telnet
> to be able to take an arbitrary URL and just pull out the host bit,
> and do a traceroute.  It seems to make some sense in this case,
> but it could cause overloading issues in other cases.
>=20
> I'll provide some more examples, but I'd like to get some opinions
> of if these things should work, and more importantly if this should
> be a design goal/standard for projects like FreeBSD.
>=20
> ftp ftp://ftp.uu.net/pub/
> talk mailto:bicknell@ussenterprise.ufp.org
> mount nfs://server.ufp.org/partition/ file:/mnt
> ssh ssh://bicknell@www.ufp.org/
>=20
> If you want to go really crazy, what about making the shell know
> about prefered applications, and parse URL's directly.  Command
> lines like this could work:
>=20
> % mailto:bicknell@ufp.org
>=20
> Which starts mutt with the argument 'bicknell@ufp.org', or
>=20
> % http://www.ufp.org/
>=20
> Which fires off netscape/lynx/whatever pointed at www.ufp.org?
>=20
> --=20
> Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org
> Systems Engineer - Internetworking Engineer - CCIE 3440
> Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org
>=20

--=20
> If you meet somebody who tells you that he loves you more than anybody
> in the whole wide world, don't trust him.  It means he experiments.
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--sgneBHv3152wZ8jf

--sgneBHv3152wZ8jf--