Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 18:14:53 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        Suleiman Souhlal <ssouhlal@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Fun with df

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 08:55:57AM -0700 I heard the voice of
Scott Long, and lo! it spake thus:

> So does this mean that dirty metadata buffers didn't get flushed?

This (or similar) happens to me when I `mount -u` a filesystem that's
had a fair amount of activity.  For instance, the partition with my
local CVS mirror is mounted r/o, so my cvsup script remounts it r/w.
At the end, it remounts r/o, but that'll cause the errors (after which
I unmount and fsck, and it blows away a number of files), so my script
does a bunch of sync;sleep;sync;sleep stuff to try and avoid it (it
still managed to happen from time to time).  e.g:

Mar 13 05:40:22 draco kernel: /bsd: update error: blocks 39992 files 250

(Of course, that only affects the partitions I *CAN* mount -u; I
haven't upgraded since January to see if the problem with fs's that
WOULDN'T -u went away.)

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net