Date:      Fri, 24 Feb 1995 11:06:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        emb@herman.tiac.net (Eric M. Busalacchi)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.cdrom.com (user alias)
Subject:   Re: Kernel Compile Error.

> 	Hello, I was recompiling my kernel and got the following error:
>
> cc -O -W -Wreturn-type -Wcomment -Wredundant-decls  -I. -I../.. -I../../sys
> -DHERMAN -DI586_CPU -DPROBE_VERBOSE -DGATEWAY -DAUTO_EOI_1
> -DALLOW_CONFLICT_IRQ -DBOUNCE_BUFFERS -DNCONS=8 -DSCSI_DELAY=15
> -DFAT_CURSOR  -DUCONSOLE -DXSERVER -DCOMPAT_43 -DCD9660 -DPROCFS
> -DMSDOSFS -DFFS -DINET -DKERNEL -Di386 -DLOAD_ADDRESS=0xF
> 0100000 -c vers.c
> autoconf.o: Undefined symbol `_setconf' referenced from text segment
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> root@herman:
>
> 	Now, let me explain a little about why I am wondering if this is
> a bug.  I do  s 'sup' about once to twice a week.  The last time I did a
> sup was about a week and a half ago.  I recompiled my kernel using the
> same INDENT file, and it worked fine.  I did a 'sup' tonight, and went to
> recompile the kernel and I got this error.  I don't know if it because I
> have to rebuild the libraries or something like that,  I just wanted to
> let you know in case it was a bug.
>
> BTW:  I have been running 2.1.0-Development since it came out without any
>      problems!  It runs GREAT!  Congrats!

You supped but didn't rebuild the world - or at least didn't rebuild
config.

rebuild and install config and the problem will be gone.
(I've been caught by this a couple of days ago, too).

> --
> Eric M. Busalacchi
> emb@herman.tiac.net

FreeBSD blues 2.1.0-Development FreeBSD 2.1.0-Development #0: Fri Feb 17
18:32:16  1995     root@blues:/usr/src/sys/compile/BLUES  i386