Date:      Wed, 10 Aug 2011 17:43:09 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Ian Downes" <ian@ndwns.net>
Cc:        freebsd-jail@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: umounting md backed jail filesystems - busy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Downes" <ian@ndwns.net>

> Thanks, indeed jls -d does show the jail as in the process of dying. I
> watched jls -d and (unscientifically) as soon as jls -d reported the jail was
> completely dead I was able to umount and destroy the filesystem.
>
> I hadn't expected it to take a minute or more for a jail to die. Is this usual?
> Can anyone suggest what may be causing this? Perhaps a network related timeout?

Yes its very likely a network timeout. You can either track down the app which
is not closing properly or you could try reducing the tcp timeout via the sysctl:-
net.inet.tcp.msl

Be aware that changing this does technically break the RFC.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.