Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 09:01:13 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        garbanzo@hooked.net
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with gzip'd executables

In article <Pine.BSF.3.96.971213193041.20991D-100000@zippy.dyn.ml.org>,
Alex  <garbanzo@hooked.net> wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed that gzip'd programs will give errors when you run
> them, however uncompressing them will remedy the situation.  I have a
> feeling this has something to do with the recent changes to the dynamic
> linker.  Any ideas?
>
> zippy:~#/usr/local/bin/tcsh
> You have mail.
> # exit
> zippy:~#cd /usr/local/bin
> zippy:/usr/local/bin#gzip -9 tcsh
> zippy:/usr/local/bin#./tcsh.gz
> /usr/libexec/ld.so: Cannot find program's a.out header

I think you're right -- it's related to my recent dynamic linker
changes.  Actually it's caused not by my original changes, but by the
work-around I put in later for the emacs bug.  Sigh.

I'll try to do something to make it work again.  I really don't
want to abandon the changes entirely if I can avoid it.  Being able
to debug from core dumps is too big of a win.  However, I may have
to back out my changes temporarily in order to buy time to fix the
problems that have been cropping up.

John