Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 1997 04:48:28 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus <jmcla@ocala.cs.miami.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Ethernet and CAP

I have been trying to get the cap package running on two FreeBSD
3.0-970209-SNAP machines for the longest time.  One has a DEC-205
EtherWORKS III card and the other a 3Com ep0.  Both of them will not run
CAP installed as either a package or a port.  Both fail with an
SIOCADDMULTI error...the same error.  I was willing to believe that this
was a problem with the le0 driver until I encountered it with 3Com.  I
have 16 bpfilters compiled into my kernel, all configured(0-15) in /dev,
and CAP will not work.  I think I've tried everything.  I wrote Max, who
maintains the port, and he seemed to think it was the card...now I'm not
so sure.  I've also tried to compile netatalk-1.4b2 with no luck.  I can
hack it to get it to compile, but it seems to have multicast problems,
too.  I've compiled in NETATALK and MROUTING in my kernel with no
effect.  So my question has two parts really:
1. Is there anything special I need to do to get CAP or netatalk running
with 3.0-970209-SNAP?
2. What is the BEST ethernet card to use with FreeBSD?

I've tried using the fxp0 (Intel 100 Base-T), but it craps out if
network traffic gets too high.  I couldn't keep it on the network for
more than 30 minutes at a time.  I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

-Joe Marcus