Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2012 23:22:39 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        =?UTF-8?B?0JXQstCz0LXQvdC40Lkg0JvQsNC60YLQsNC90L7Qsg==?= <root1101@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Clang

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 01:09:11 +0400, Евгений Лактанов wrote:
> >> What a lying sonofabitch.
> > By insulting you think your arguments get any better? Sorry,
> > it's not the case.
> >

> >> That is not called freedom. That is called
> >> "forcible, viral open source".
> > That's what I initially called "viral license" (or which, to
> > be precise, is a phrase someone else invented, and which I
> > just repeated).
> >
> > A developer is always the key person to decide what he will
> > do with his source code. Giving it for free WITH NO SPECIAL
> > RESTRICTIONS is a very generous act. (Note that this act does
> > not mean he gives up copyright, the attribution that _he_ was
> > the creator of the code!)
> >
> > If a developer wants to donate his work to the public, but does
> > not want others to make money with his work, he will probably
> > choose the GPL to release the source code. Others are allowed
> > to modify it, to create derivate works and even use it in their
> > products, as long as the requirement (which you may validly see
> > as a restriction!) of "contribution back" is met.
> >
> > A much more strict requirement seems to be in the GPLv3 which
> > limits those who "take" the open source. The "aspect of being
> > viral" includes that the source will not be turned into closed
> > source. The most negative effect is that GPLv3 licensed components
> > may have side effects of non-GLPv3 licensed code. This is something
> > worth seeing critically.
> >

> >> I think we can all see the difference. Open
> >> your motherfucking eyes, communist goofball...
> > All those insults fly back to you and therefore apply to you.
> > It makes all your argumentation (which may be valid) futile.
> > In fact, that kind of acting is a typical means of communist
> > dictatures - using insulting language to actually avoid any
> > discussion and instead strengthen the means of oppression!
> > You should learn some history. And maybe calm down, as the
> > hatred you're spreading is really unpleasant.

> >> No, it's just plain "free."
> > Among the many licenses, the BSD license seems to be the most
> > free license (or, the "only free license", which is a valid
> > point of view), as it explicitely allows things that the GPL
> > does not.
> >
> > Of course, there are different interpretations if this is a
> > good or a bad thing. For a system like FreeBSD that wants to
> > offer a free system (in the widest sense), GPLv3 system
> > components (such as compilers) could be a no-go.

> >> No, it is not, except perhaps by lying atheist Marxist bastards and his
> >> religious adherents.
> > By "no, except" you have actually agreed that the statement is
> > true, even if you tried to deny it. Again, please try to have
> > some culture in discussion. Maybe you should also read Marx. :-)

> >> Now you got it! GPL is about forcing people to do what /you/ want and BSD is
> >> about letting them do what /they/ want.
> > Licensing is about choosing - a main criteria of a free society.
> > A developer is free to even keep his sources closed, to release
> [...]

I assume it's just an aspect of "still being too young" in
regards of missing the difference between freedom and
anarchy: the right to extend one's freedom is limited
as soon as it limits the freedom of others. Maybe another
aspect is the lack of discussion culture and the proper
use of means of language. You often find such behaviour
among school children of the lower grades. Using words
without knowing their meaning is very typical for people
in puberty. :-)

Okay, to try to come back on topic, especially regarding
the use of CLANG as a system compiler: I recently read
the following interesting article which I want to throw
into the discussion:

	John Regehr:
	The Little C Function From Hell
	http://blog.regehr.org/archives/482

It's more a minor observation than an evaluation of CLANG,
but this article shows a significant change of how CLANG
handles (char) meeting it's margin CHAR_MAX vs. (int) in
a C function call. The impressing thing here is that CLANG
2.7 vs. rev. 126534 seems to bring a massive change on how
the compiler handles certain boundaries and implicit type
conversions.

I _may_ assume that this is something "quite normal" during
the evolution and improvement of a compiler, but it could
become critical when used at system level. If FreeBSD chooses
CLANG as the default system compiler and the primary compiler
for ports (instead of sticking with the "well proven", but
old GCC, and _not_ moving to a newer GPLv3 GCC), I hope the
performed tests have made sure that the new compiler will
work properly in all imaginable cases.

Finally, the article illustrates that the depicted bug has
been corrected in LLVM/CLANG within 24 hours, which is a good
thing, and it emphasizes _quality_ of the product, which is
the right attitude in my opinion.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany