Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 18:45:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

On Thu, 7 Sep 1995, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > If you guys like I could upload the program for dos some where... It has
> > a nice chart on what you can do, i.e. read the disk, with and without the
> > special program...  like you can read a 1.48meg disk without any driver
> > loaded under dos...  plus with it you can format your 5-1/2 floppies to
> > 1.48megs...  and that would be quite nice to set as the new top limit :)
> > TTYL...
>
> Put it up in ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/incoming.

done... the full url is ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/incoming/fdformat.zip the
program to run to read the disks is fdread.exe... and the program to
format is fdformat.exe... also...  it has a nice ability to interleve
sectors...  this can dramaticly improve read times...  esspessially when
you format a 3-1/2HD floppy to 1.2meg (to diskcopy a 5-1/4HD)...  I have
no problems mounting the disk with freebsd with the command "mount_msdos
/dev/fd0.1720 /mnt"...

> > Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)
>                  ^^^^^^^ large empires tend to <'hey what is this word
> in english for 'kollabieren''?> in time by themselves?

I have no idea...  TTYL...

John-Mark

gurney_j@efn.org
Modem/FAX: (503) 683-6954   (FreeBSD Box)

Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD (unix)