Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 2000 22:06:25 -0800
From:      The Mad Scientist <madscientist@thegrid.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslogd compatibility

All,
It seems that syslogd on -stable rejects any syslog packets if they do not
originate from udp port 514.  One of the machines I have is a sparc running
2.8 and its syslogd sends messages from a random high-numbered port.  I've
poked through the mailing list archives a little and didn't see anything
relevant.  Is there an undocumented command-line/conf file that will fix
the problem?  I'm not much of a hacker, but from the syslogd.c code I think
I can see the relevant part that drops the packets.  Would getting rid of
these lines do the trick (~line 1802 in /usr/src/usr.sbin/syslogd/syslogd.c)?

if (ntohs(ap->port) != 0 && ap->port != sin->sin_port) {
       dprintf("rejected in rule %d due to port mismatch.\n", i);
       continue;
   }

Am I correct in assuming that the idea here is to put more trust in remote
syslogds running as root?  Are there any other security implications with
removing this check?

From syslogd -a 10.0.0.0/8 -vv -d
<snip>
cvthname(10.0.1.4)
validate: dgram from IP 10.0.1.4, port 32803, name splitbrain.;
rejected in rule 0 due to port mismatch.

I also don't see any logs of these rejected packets...

My FreeBSD machine is:
FreeBSD watchtower 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #2: Tue Mar  7 21:50:38
PST 2000     root@watchtower:/usr/src/sys/compile/WATCHTOWER  i386

The Solaris box is:
SunOS splitbrain 5.8 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-10

Thanks for the help.
-Dean