Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 1997 10:38:55 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@unique.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Adam David <adam@veda.is>, Jacob Suter <jsuter@linus.intrastar.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: longer usernames

On Sat Apr 12 14:54:41 EST 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> > > It would appear it support 16 charector limits right now on my stock
> > > 2.2.1r boxes.  I haven't tested it though.
> >
> > Would someone please tell me how to enable 16-char logins on stock 2.2.1R,
> > much appreciated.
>
> Use the search tool, Luke! :-)

And cvs log entries. There were a few other subtle changes that
have leaked through since.

FWIW, FreeBSD-current supports *15* character login names, not
16. In addition to the headers, there was a problem with the
'proc' struct in the kernel (setlogin(), I think) and a few
userland changes involved as well where the size was assumed
to be 8.

The only unresolved problem I know about is in libskey, which
currently truncates the size of the username to significant
characters [skeylogin.c].

Regards,

David Nugent - Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-9791-9547  Data/BBS +61-3-9792-3507  3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@freebsd.org davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn/