Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:56:26 +0900
From:      "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBsd as internet router

At Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:59:29 -0800,
Brooks Davis wrote:
>=20
> [1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> [cc'ing doc since I think this is really a doc issue.  Please trim your
> reply list as needed]
>=20

Sorry to chime in late on this.  I suspect the assertion about FreeBSD
and building a router does have to do with complete RFC compliance.
As Brooks pointed out, no router ever built actually complied with all
the RFCs.

In another life I worked for a company using the BSD stack in an RTOS
and many non-US customers wanted strict adherence to the RFCs and/or
specific statements of non-compliance.  This is an arduous job that no
one is going to do for free (and that company never did it either).

=46rom a practical standpoint building an Internet router from FreeBSD
is quite "doable" and has been done.  Depending on where that router
lives the network (core, edge, enterprise, etc.) you will have to
customize the system, but then, that's what engineering is about :-)

Later,
George