Date:      Tue, 08 Oct 1996 07:25:09 -0700
From:      Frank Varnell <fvarnell@znet.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   atapi

I have been unable to install freebsd on my new computer.
I have a Compaq 133Mhz Presario #4706. It has 2.5MB hard disk and
an 8x IDE CDROM (I don't know which brand).Also has Windows95.
I bought the Walnut Creek 2.1.5 Aug '96 release. It didn't have
the ATAPI.flp files mentioned in the book. So, I went back to the
2.1 release which I had successfully installed on another
machine (dell w/ atapi).
One of the reasons I bought this machine was that I thought a popular,
mainstream machine would make an easy BSD install.

Yes, I checked the archives (for hours!). Lot's of similar questions
but no answers that I could find.

Here is the problem. Running the install either from CD or 2.1
atapi.flp, after specifying the install parameters (disk
partition,x11 preferences, etc.) when the install program asks for
install medium and I specify CDROM, it tells me it can't find the
CDROM device.
Anyone able to help here? Pleeeze!